Taking the MCAT in 2020?
The dates are finally out though registration doesn't open until late October.
Looks like once again we have 2 different testing calendars for the US and Canada with more Canadian dates later in the cycle, perhaps to accommodate the rolling admissions for hard deadlines?
Have you seen the new MCAT Dates in response to Covid-19 interruptions? Read about them here!
Most Canadian medical schools have hard deadlines. This means you should aim to complete your MCAT with enough time to receive your scores before the deadline.
Most US medical schools have rolling admissions. This means that the sooner you test, the sooner you can apply, and the sooner your application will be reviewed for consideration.
This is discussed in more detail in my free MCAT prep guide.
In my experience I've see the highest success rate with students who test by June and have their applications in by July.
Students testing in July still do ok, with Aug/Sep dates pushing it slightly.
Your #1 goal is to choose a test day that fits your timeline AND STILL allows you to be PREPARED!
You are much better off with a LATER test date than an early exam with a low score as this would only result in an earlier rejection. Remember it doesn't matter WHEN you reach your goals, so long as you refuse to give up and keep working hard, you WILL ACHIEVE YOUR DREAMS!!
*Additions to the testing schedule due to Covid-19
Not sure how to prepare or even get started?
I cover everything you need for MCAT prep in my free Ultimate Guide to MCAT Prep
For more personal help see the following:
– Creating a custom study schedule and long term plan: Schedule an MCAT Strategy Session
– Strategy + content + accountability + guidance every step of the way: MCAT Study Hall
– one on one private MCAT tutoring
Strategy, Skills, and Useful Study Techniques
- Overall: The Ultimate MCAT Prep Guide
& MCAT Resources – the best of the best as voted by fellow premeds
- Mental Prep:
- Study Strategies:
- Newspaper strategy for improving in CARS
- Audio Study Strategy for maximizing time spent driving/chores…
- Flashcard Strategy for utilizing them the RIGHT way
- Studying the bathroom because hey, you're there every day anyway
- Active Writing for concept and equation memorization
- Note-Taking Strategy for fast-paced effective studying
- 3 Steps to Raising Your MCAT Scores With Full-Length Practice Tests
- 5 Steps to Mastering MCAT Sciences
- Should I retake my MCAT? If so, when?
- Fellow Pre-med Interviews passing on their insight and advice to you!