Knee deep in Orgo topics? Looking to replace boring, sterile, formal reading with step-by-step Videos and colorful Tutorials? Use the guide below to quickly find everything you need.
Match up your professor’s Organic Chemistry syllabus to my Orgo Tutorials, Videos, Cheat Sheets, and Practice Quizzes!
Start PRE-LEARNING as much as you can.
This will help you avoid becoming overwhelmed or falling behind throughout the semester.
And the best part is, I’m not sending you to your boring textbook. I’ve linked each topic to my Videos, colorful Study Guides, and Cheat Sheets (where possible) to make it more enjoyable and easier to understand.
How To Use This Guide:
Compare your Organic Chemistry textbook or professor’s course syllabus to this list. Find the topics below that correspond to your chapters. Start studying accordingly. Click on any of the hyperlinked material to watch my tutorial videos on the topic.
Don’t have a syllabus? The videos are listed in ‘typical order’ allowing you to start from the beginning.
Expectations & Preparation:
- Watch “How to Prepare for Upcoming Semester” or
- Read: Organic Chemistry Preview Guide: What to Pre-Study for the Upcoming Semester
Follow this Scheduling Guide to create a balanced schedule for studying for orgo, other classes, work, family, personal time, and life!
Students IN or Prepping For Organic Chemistry 1:
Gen Chem Review
Rebuild your General Chemistry Foundation with the following key concepts required for Organic chemistry including:
Atomic particles/structure, Periodic Table Trends, Atomic Orbitals, Electron Configuration, Lewis-Dot Diagram
- Remaster these potentially ‘skipped’ Chem Foundation Orgo Basics Series including:
Ionic/Polar/Covalent Bonding, sp3/sp2/sp Hybridization and Geometry, Formal Charge, Lewis Structures, Intro to Resonance
- Learn How to Draw Skeletal Structures (typically not explained well by professors, but VERY important)
- Own Resonance with this Resonance Detailed Video Tutorial Series
- Functional Groups: Guide,Video, Cheat Sheet, & Practice Quiz
- IUPAC Nomenclature 21-Video Series, My article on MasterOrganicChemistry.com
- Learn How to Use your Organic Chemistry Model Kit
- Constitutional Isomers, Cis/Trans & E/Z Written Tutorial!
Acids & Bases
Molecular Analysis & Stereochemistry
Reactions & Mechanisms
- Pre-Reaction Mechanism Requirement: Electron Pushing Arrows and Carbocation Stability
- Alkene reaction and Mechanisms including Markovnikov’s Rule- Overview Cheat Sheet and Alkene Practice Quiz
- Alkyne reaction and mechanisms – Overview Cheat Sheet
- Synthesis and Retrosynthesis – Orgo 1 Reaction Map
- Sample Organic Chemistry 2 Practice Final Exam
- How to ‘Memorize’ Orgo Reagents Workshop Replay!
Topics Taught In Orgo 1 OR Orgo 2 (depending on the school)
- Spectroscopy including H-NMR, C-NMR, IR and Mass Spec
- Substitution and Elimination aka SN1 SN2 E1 E2 reactions – Overview Cheat Sheet
- Conjugated systems and the Diels Alder Reaction
- Review Molecular Orbital Theory for Reactions in Conjugated Systems
- Aromaticity and EAS – Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution Reaction Mechanism Videos and Cheat Sheet
Topics Typically Covered In Organic Chemistry 2
- Alcohols /ethers/epoxides
- Redox = Oxidation and Reduction – Tutorial series + cheat sheet
- Aldehydes, Ketones, Carboxylic Acids and derivatives – cheat sheet
- Grignard Reaction Reagent Mechanim and Cheat Sheet
- Carbonyl reactions
- Acetal & Ketal Protecting Groups
- Enolates and reactions at the alpha carbon including Aldol and Claisen Condensations, Michael, Malonic and acetoacetic ester
- Organic Chemistry 2 Practice Final Exam
Topics That Can Be Covered In Organic Chemistry 2 Or Biochemistry
Many schools or professors offer the ACS standardized exam in place of (or in addition to) your Orgo final exam. The exam is cumulative and can test you on either 1 or 2 semesters of undergraduate level organic chemistry topics. Since multiple choice style questions are different and, dare I say, MORE difficult than open-ended reaction, mechanism, or synthesis type questions, read my article on How to Prepare for the ACS Organic Chemistry Exam.
While I only have a handful of public videos covering beginner topics, all advanced topics have been covered in great detail in my membership site. Click for details: Organic Chemistry Study Hall