Match up your organic chemistry syllabus to my organic chemistry tutorials, videos, cheat sheets and practice material.
If your semester is about to begin, match up your syllabus topics to the tutorials below and start PRE-LEARNING as much as you can.
This will help you avoid overwhelm or falling behind throughout the semester.
Knee deep in orgo topics? Looking to replace boring reading with videos and colorful tutorial? Use the guide below to quickly find everything you need.
And the best part is, I’m not sending you to your boring textbook. I’ve linked each topic to my videos, study guides and cheat sheets (where possible) to make it more enjoyable and easier to understand.
How To Use This Guide:
Compare your organic chemistry textbook to this list and find the chapters that cover the topics mentioned. Start studying accordingly. Click on any of the hyperlinked material to watch my tutorial videos on the topic.
Don’t have a syllabus? The videos are listed in ‘typical order’ allowing you to start from the beginning.
Follow This Scheduling Guide to create a sample study calendar
Students IN or Preping For Organic Chemistry 1:
- Rebuild your General Chemistry foundation with the following key concepts required for Organic chemistry including: atomic particles/structure, periodic table trends, atomic orbitals, electron configuration, Lewis dot diagram
- Remaster these potentially ‘skipped’ chem foundation. Orgo Basics series includes: Bonding, sp3/sp2/sp hybridization and geometry, Lewis Structures, Formal Charge, Resonance
- Learn how to draw skeletal structures (typically skipped over, but VERY important)
- Constitutional Isomers, cis/trans & E/Z
- Functional Groups Video and Cheat Sheet
- IUPAC Nomenclature 21-Video Series, My article on MasterOrganicChemistry.com
- Acids and Bases video series – Cheat Sheet
- Newman Projections and Chair Conformations
- Chirality, Stereochemistry, Fischer Projections
- Pre-Reaction Mechanism Requirement: Electron pushing arrows and Carbocation Stability
- Alkene reaction and mechanisms including Markovnikov’s Rule- overview cheat sheet and Alkene Practice Quiz
- Alkyne reaction and mechanisms – overview cheat sheet
- Synthesis and retrosynthesis – Orgo 1 reaction map
- Orgo 1 Practice Final Exam
Topics Taught In Orgo 1 OR Orgo 2 (depending on the school)
- Spectroscopy including H-NMR, C-NMR, IR and Mass Spec
- Substitution and Elimination aka SN1 SN2 E1 E2 reactions – overview cheat sheet
- Conjugated systems and the Diels Alder Reaction
- Aromaticity and EAS – Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution – Reaction Mechanism Videos and Cheat Sheet
Topics Typically Covered In Organic Chemistry 2
- Redox = Oxidation and Reduction – Tutorial series + cheat sheet
- Aldehydes, Ketones, Carboxylic Acids and derivatives – cheat sheet
- Carbonyl reactions
- Enolates and reactions at the alpha carbon including Aldol, Claisen, Michael, Malonic and acetoacetic ester
- Organic Chemistry 2 Practice Final Exam
Topics That Can Be Covered In Organic Chemistry 2 Or Biochemistry
While I only have a handful of public videos covering beginner topics, all advanced topics have been covered in great detail in my membership site. Click for details: Organic Chemistry Study Hall