Think you've mastered your organic chemistry functional groups? Take this short quiz to find out where you stand.
See how you did then scroll down for the solutions at the end
Functional Groups Practice Quiz Part 1: Warm-Up Question
Identify the functional group in each of the following structures. Choose from these groups:
- Alkyl Halide
- Hydroxyl group (alcohol)
- Carboxylic Acid
- Benzene is NOT the focus of this question set. If you see benzene look at what ELSE is present
Functional Groups Practice Quiz Part 2
Identify the functional group in each of the following structures. Choose from the list above
Functional Groups Practice Quiz Part 3
Identify every functional group present in the following molecules.
Ibuprofen – anti inflammatory drug
Folic Acid – B Vitamin
Amphetamine – a nervous system stimulant
Penicillin – common antibiotic
AZT or azidothymidine – used to treat HIV
Functional Groups Practice Quiz Part 4 – How many isomers can you draw?
Hint: don't forget to calculate degree of unsaturation/Index of Hydrogen Deficiency
- Ketones with the formula C5H10O
- Esters with the formula C5H8O2
- Saturated 8-carbon tertiary amine
- Non-amines with the formula C4H7N
- BONUS QUESTION: Can you draw at least 30 isomers for C6H12O?